PDA

View Full Version : Skins

|Sa|-Iron_Chef-[PRiSoN]
06-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Apparently skins are now allowed on the server (maybe just pub 1). I understand the reasoning for this is probably because people have expressed an interest in using their own custom weapon skins to add to their enjoyment of the game. However, I think that enabling all skin/material files is simply giving an open door to those players who choose not to play fairly. Already today, I have heard at least one person (who I will leave unnamed) remark on how sweet it was that now the bright orange and green "noob skins" work on the server... essentially showing all players as solid neon orange or green. Perhaps that doesn't seem like such a blatant form of hacking, but by enabling all skin files, you are also allowing people to use substitute material skins... such as for boxes, doors, barrells.... all of which can be made see-through. To me, that is wall hacking. On top of that, using custom weapon skins can provide a certain advantage because some guns skins have a laser pointer on them, and you can find skins for the bomb that shows a huge beacon glowing up into the sky. Both of those types of things kind of fall into the realm of neon skins... not explicitly cheating, but something I would consider as "playing with an unfair advantage".

The whole point of my post is this... you can use the whitelist file to only allow very specific folders to contain custom files. This essentially lets you have a much greater control over what skins/materials/etc people use in your server. It lets them use custom weapon skins, or custom weapon sounds, for instance, without allowing people to have custom player skins or custom materials.

I think this would be the best way to go about it. And its built into the basic functionality of css... it does not depend on (or even require) a mod or plugin of any kind.

diabolical
06-13-2009, 02:30 PM
;8130']Apparently skins are now allowed on the server (maybe just pub 1). I understand the reasoning for this is probably because people have expressed an interest in using their own custom weapon skins to add to their enjoyment of the game. However, I think that enabling all skin/material files is simply giving an open door to those players who choose not to play fairly. Already today, I have heard at least one person (who I will leave unnamed) remark on how sweet it was that now the bright orange and green "noob skins" work on the server... essentially showing all players as solid neon orange or green. Perhaps that doesn't seem like such a blatant form of hacking, but by enabling all skin files, you are also allowing people to use substitute material skins... such as for boxes, doors, barrells.... all of which can be made see-through. To me, that is wall hacking. On top of that, using custom weapon skins can provide a certain advantage because some guns skins have a laser pointer on them, and you can find skins for the bomb that shows a huge beacon glowing up into the sky. Both of those types of things kind of fall into the realm of neon skins... not explicitly cheating, but something I would consider as "playing with an unfair advantage".

The whole point of my post is this... you can use the whitelist file to only allow very specific folders to contain custom files. This essentially lets you have a much greater control over what skins/materials/etc people use in your server. It lets them use custom weapon skins, or custom weapon sounds, for instance, without allowing people to have custom player skins or custom materials.

I think this would be the best way to go about it. And its built into the basic functionality of css... it does not depend on (or even require) a mod or plugin of any kind.

Wow this is news to me. WHO THE EFF ENABLED SKINS ON PUB 1???

sgt.stix
06-13-2009, 05:27 PM
its only pub 2 i thought...

|Sa|-Iron_Chef-[PRiSoN]
06-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I guess it doesn't really matter which server it is.... I was just pointing out that already, the day it changed, I heard at least one player talking about how sweet it was they could do something that gives them an unfair advantage.

If you need help with setting up the server's whitelist file, I can show you how to do it.

sgt.stix
06-14-2009, 10:30 AM
i think we should take iron chefs advice into consideration

Stan Darsh
06-14-2009, 10:52 AM
;8168']I guess it doesn't really matter which server it is.... I was just pointing out that already, the day it changed, I heard at least one player talking about how sweet it was they could do something that gives them an unfair advantage.

If you need help with setting up the server's whitelist file, I can show you how to do it.

yea we def need to fix this....

Genius
06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
I guess I agree after reading this paragraph. Kudos my friend, kudos. I might have to read up on this a bit, but i think there is a way to limit what skins can and cannot work on the server. I will look into it, so muddog can use his pretty pink deagle.

|Sa|-Iron_Chef-[PRiSoN]
06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah thats what I was saying. If you use the whitelist file built into css you can have greater control over which files are allowed and which aren't. Like I said, I can help whoever is in charge of that kind of thing. I have made several of the whitelists myself for the servers we used to run.

Just trying to help :P