PDA

View Full Version : Increasing gameplay quality ( reg ) on the pubs

KATASTROPHIKUNIVA
09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
As most of you have probably noticed, i have rarely played on our pubs in the last 3 months or so. At least compared to my old usual of 5-10 hours a day. This is because I don't really enjoy picking up bad habits when I'm getting bad registry and having to spray a whole clip at someone to kill them when it should be a 5 shot pull down burst. Occasionally i do get good reg but it is only after the server is restarted and there is less than a thousand ppl that have joined without it being restarted ( type status in console and see the number by everybody's name. as of now its 5000 in one pub and 3000 something in another.) As soon as that number gets into the high multiples of hundreds there is a noticeable difference in the quality of gameplay. My solution to this is simple, we need to install an autorestart script that goes once, preferable twice a day to keep the game functioning properly for everybody. I've seen this on other servers before where it restarts the same time every day automatically. I would suggest 8 am and 8 pm, twice a day. I believe this would increase the numbers of people that regularly play in the pubs by a long shot. The way it's been going lately, 75 percent of the time it is not enjoyable to play in our dust2 pubs for any lengthy period of time, many others i've talked with have concurred as well. Now that a lot of people are getting back to school and sitting on their comfy comp chairs and looking for a favourite pub to hit up and waste a few hours of time per day, the timing of this fix is critical. I am sure with the pubs being restarted much more frequently our clan would flourish and do better as a whole.

Stan Darsh
09-15-2009, 09:14 AM
amazing idea

actually, the 8pm should be made a little earlier, to restart it right before the flood of people and after the afternoon guys trickled out. mabye like 6-7 or something.

CaptainPash
09-15-2009, 10:08 AM
I think that 4am and 4pm would be the best time. Cause the pubs are starting to get full at 8ish like stan said.

Killer Tofu
09-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I would suggest 8 am and 8 pm, twice a day...the timing of this fix is critical.

I disagree to your suggested times, but I agree that a scripted restart of the pubs at least twice a day will increase gaming performance. Here are my graphs to prove the best times:

http://i28.tinypic.com/nqczuc.jpg

Using as little variance as possible, given that both AM and PM trough points are within 2 standard deviations of the mean peak time, then we should restart the servers at 4pm and 6am.

PS. Server times reflect weekly trends, though this is still a rough sampling. Downtime on Pub 4's server @ 3 pm should've been omitted because of the double-mean (it is an outlier).

Yihya
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Great Idea, I will look into this asap.

sgt.stix
09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
yes finally someone listens to me, the reg in our server is horrible, i almost rather go play somewhere else half the time or just spec. we need to do something about this asap because this is a critical factor in our pubbers, lately not just i but as stated before regs are complaining about the reg..:( please get this show on the road

mugdog4
09-15-2009, 04:01 PM
i love this idea, ive noticed some bad reg every now and then

UberSexyrainbowman
09-15-2009, 05:01 PM
yes please god yes

Killer Tofu
09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Shouldn't this be in the 'Suggestions' thread?

A-Nom Fresh
09-15-2009, 07:12 PM
...ooooooooooooh
i was thinking i just sucked at shooting ahahah!
i wa slike looking at the screen.."errrrph?? my cursors on his body why is he not dying?"
ahahaha

TemperTaintrum
10-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Has this idea been put into place yet? I can't hit anything anyway but every little bit helps...

MousE
10-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I think it has, but it's not the reg that sucks. I think it's called, AIM and shoot, not spray and pray...I know by experience.

Oh and I'm not saying you or anyone are bitching about the reg...

Suburban
11-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I have went ahead and installed a new server restart script, which as of right now restarts the servers at 3am, but that will change. The config file is created upon first load of the mod, so I must wait until map change for the config file to show up. Once it does, I will probably configure it for 4am (as Kata suggested) and we will see how that plays out. If need be, we can configure it for twice a day.

Camarada Candiotti
11-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I knew i was right!!! i told you guys it was the script !!! nobody believe me !!!!

SaggyBanana
11-02-2009, 12:13 PM
...ooooooooooooh
i was thinking i just sucked at shooting ahahah!
i wa slike looking at the screen.."errrrph?? my cursors on his body why is he not dying?"
ahahaha

Here is the thing -
"Bad reg + sucks at shooting = critically pissed off Banana"
"Excellent reg + sucks at shooting = normal pissed off Banana"
"Excellent reg + not sucking at shooting = Fucking Impossible for Banana"

Suburban
11-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Spoken like a true Newfoundlander :) I'm so proud to be Newfie :D I like you, hell you can come over to my place and fuck my sister! LOL

Killer Tofu
11-02-2009, 05:41 PM
hell you can come over to my place and fuck my sister! LOL

Private f*cking Joker!
http://i35.tinypic.com/ncf8co.gif

sgt.stix
11-02-2009, 07:51 PM
lol