PDA

View Full Version : Game Review: OPERATION FLASHPOINT 2: DRAGON RISING

diabolical
10-08-2009, 10:23 PM
The Pre-Purchase

I've been fascinated with first Operation Flashpoint game when it made it's debut back in the day (it's been a while since I've actually played that game). If I'm not mistaken the first Operation Flashpoint involves a storyline where you're US Military Soldier stationed in a remote island and have been activated for duty due to increasing Russian presence on the island of interest. The storyline was not the influencing factor of my particular liking toward the game. It was the interesting "game physics" that caught my attention. The graphics were under no circumstances spectacular, however the game interface and HUB design for a first person shooter was unique. The game requires the gamer to utilize the optics systems employed for the various weaponry in order to achieve effectiveness in target elimination. Merely using the crosshairs available from the HUB and interface would not suffice, and the probabilities and algorithms for the trajectory of projectiles were a lot more realistic relative to other first person shooters which made the activity of utilizing the weaponry more realistic. There were no hordes of seemingly endless enemies that would randomly spawn from trivial locations, rather enemies would be in actual team/squad/platoon/company sized elements when confronted. Indeed, it was the realism that was the overwhelming factor that kept me engrossed in the game. Not in the sense of visual presentation, but rather in the gameplay.

It was until June of 2009, that I happened to be talking to a friend regarding PC games where the gameplay revolved around "modern warfare." The conversation was sparked after talking about the success of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and it's not-as-successful successor Call of Duty 5: World At War. We were talking about games that would have to meet the expectations of the "modern warefare" theme and to achieve over the precedents set by CoD4. My friend then told me that they were developing the game sequel to Operation Flashpoint, now known as Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising. My interest was reinvigorated by the conversation and I was curious to discover what OPF2 would bring to the table.

Alright. Enough blabbering about the past and let's jump into the game review of OFP2: Dragon Rising.

The Game
I haven't played the game enough to really grasp the a full appreciation if there exists one for it, however, I was quit astonished for my initial impression. Obvious, improvements from the first OFP was the graphics. Other improvements included the nature of ambient sounds as well as the sounds for the weaponry, vehicles, and personnel and how the sounds reacted with each other to create a "symphony" during gameplay. Furthermore, the sounds of the weaponry were quite realistic and I believe it has been the closest out of any game so far in mimicking the sounds of weaponry in real life. The game physics has not changed that much as far as I can tell, some improvements in certain areas such as the interaction with other individuals in squad (communication is essential to gameplay), a slightly more improved physics system for weapons and the firing of, and the AI appears to be more realistic. During gameplay, when being engaged/under enemy fire I felt a heightened sense that was induced by certain features of the HUD and interface when in that situation such as the sounds of bullets flying over head or hitting areas nearby, view of sporadic tracers, and the loose debris that obscures your vision when the projectiles impact around your area. I thought this was perhaps one of the more noticeable improvements of the game.

One thing to bear in mind, I think that those you who are looking for an "easy" FPS game, I would not purchase this game. This game is rather for those who like to think about strategies, tactics, and enjoy the realism of in-game combat. Hopefully you enjoyed the review. More to follow...

iRobot
10-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Yes on the realism and the maps are huge ... you have walk for miles to finish one mission .. If you purchase the game start off in regular mode then try it in expert mode... in this mode if you don't know what you are doing you will get lost on the map.

1 con on this is the game menu and other options are a bit laggy and trying to login to their online server is not going to be pleasant.

AngerBanger
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a question, for those who have played this game.

My brother-in-law and I, love to hunt. So we enjoy a good challenge, I was thinking of purchasing this game for the PS3 and was wondering if it would fit our suits. Is recoil realistic? If we are sitting right next each other playing, how essential would communication be. Can you play this game stoned? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

diabolical
10-20-2009, 06:30 AM
I have a question, for those who have played this game.

My brother-in-law and I, love to hunt. So we enjoy a good challenge, I was thinking of purchasing this game for the PS3 and was wondering if it would fit our suits. Is recoil realistic? If we are sitting right next each other playing, how essential would communication be. Can you play this game stoned? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

According to your hunting background, I'm not sure if the game will really fit your tastes ( unless of course you like to hunt humans LOL :rolleyes: ). Sometimes you're not necessarily looking for the objective, but rather the objective is looking for you. There is a lot of terrain utilization involved in the game where you can use the terrain for cover and concealment, more so of the former than the latter. Sometimes patience pays off, however, most of the missions involve a time-hack and if you don't complete certain objectives by certain times you fail the mission.

The recoil is pretty realistic (for example, when using the M249 SAW, continuous shooting vs a burst differs in accuracy in addition for the need to control the weapon as the shots elevate from the recoiling action of the weapon; this holds true for the smaller weapons and varies independently for each weapon) and as stated before, the trajectory of your shots are very real so you might have to use some "Kentucky windage" when adjusting your shots.

As far as co-op play, whether it be multiplayer-annihilation mode or co-op campaign, communication is definitely essential. If you two were playing next to each other, I'm sure you would still need to communicate even if you're not using the mic.

I'm not sure how to answer your last question. LOL. However, I have witnessed a certain individual play the game while under the influence, and he managed to run over me several times in gameplay with a vehicle.

I hope this answers your questions. :)

AngerBanger
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
LOL at the vehicle. Well, we rented it from blockbuster but it is not 2 players for PS3:mad:

optimusprime
10-21-2009, 07:38 PM
This game is the most fun FPS game since counterstrike. the gameplay is great. On the downside there is a major flaw no Dedicated servers yet. and no anti cheat programs .

I wouldnt recomend anyone buy this game untill they make it possible for dedicated servers since the multiplayer will die with out them but if u have utorrent you can download it for free here

http://www.mininova.org/tor/3022511

there is no cdkey so u can play online

Dajinn
11-03-2009, 12:16 AM
torrents are garbage, i recommend warez-bb.org and pick yourself up a rapidshare account + internet download manager(from warez of course)

AndyPerfect
11-03-2009, 12:26 AM
torrents are garbage, i recommend warez-bb.org and pick yourself up a rapidshare account + internet download manager(from warez of course)

Torrents are garbage? Where does that come from?

Camarada Candiotti
11-03-2009, 09:29 AM
newzbin.com!!!! .... and yes torrents are a lil bit slow but not garbage at all!!!!! from newzbin i can download up to 20 mb per sec.... i think better than warez-bb.org

AndyPerfect
11-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I get great download speeds using uTorrent - max I've gotten is like 750 KB / sec - not bad for my connection I share with four other people - that gives me what - like 6Mb/sec?