PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 Second Freeze Time in CounterStrike Source Pubs

michaelscarn
03-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Suggestion:
Add a 2-3 second freeze time to the CS:S pub servers.

What this means:
Each new round there will be 3 seconds in which you can buy, but not move, before it starts.

Reason:
We are seeing a lot of lag at the beginning of each CS:S round for the first few seconds. This seems to be caused by a large amount of people playing in the server or from people using comms at the start of a round.

cash
03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
We could try it out in just one of the pubs if some people are hesitant.

bower
03-22-2010, 08:28 PM
When we have a lot of people in the servers, the only way to prevent a stalemate camp-off is for someone to create an advantage off the start. I.E. Rushing where one spawns to take either long A or B.

I am strongly against mp_freezetime.

michaelscarn
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
When we have a lot of people in the servers, the only way to prevent a stalemate camp-off is for someone to create an advantage off the start. I.E. Rushing where one spawns to take either long A or B.

I am strongly against mp_freezetime.

the point is that the 3 seconds will be during the lag so you wouldn't be moving anyway

i would be down for even a 1 second freeze time because that might give me enough time to buy when I'm on the edge of the spawn

bower
03-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I move when lagging...

Tekan
03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
i move when i'm laggin too :D

cash
03-22-2010, 10:37 PM
You may move when you are lagging but then you end up without a weapon which usually makes it a pointless rush because 95% of the times it won't be successful.

MEE
03-22-2010, 11:05 PM
i dont really have a problem with buying and running out really quick. If a player wants to stay in spawn and buy weapons for 1 min that just gives me the advantage. With a 3 second lag ill just have 2 seconds of nothing to do :(

clean team
03-23-2010, 05:16 AM
It's not that hard to wait half a second, or a second at most before pressing your buy button, then running, and even then it would only be the odd time you are at the very edge of spawn.

Drunk Santa
03-23-2010, 05:22 AM
Here is how it is done in [TG] server http://www.2shared.com/file/12256876/2bd802f/santa.html
You can also see that voice is disabled for a few sec.

Killer Tofu
03-23-2010, 05:57 AM
We won't know how this affects the game until we try it.

Camarada Candiotti
03-23-2010, 06:19 AM
here is how will this affect .... I WILL REFUSE TO PLAY IN TRP SERVERS IF THIS ever gets approved!!!!! this is just nonsense and we already discuss this in the past! ... i thought we were THE RUSHING PARTY and not the lets take our time and think how we are going to do this .... unless you like to play as a ct this will only be for your own benefit .. there are many ways we can fix that without the 2 sec freeze .. such as .. NO BLOCK for people that complains, NO BANK cuz everybody uses the bank at the same time .. usually some players have BINDS to retrieeve their money, and NO TALK .....

On a side note .. I joined TRP because of the way They (WE) are running the servers .. cuz i got tired of wait 2 secs .. and i will agree if we only have 10 players playing .. you can put 1 minute freeze i don't care but when we have 36 is going to be WAY too much and a Russian rulet for all the T's everytime they rush ... with this ... I WILL EXPECT TRP TO CHANGE THEIR RULES OF RUSHING AND GIVING MORE TIME TO CAMP ON SPAWN AS IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIMES IN OTHER PUBS

sgt.stix
03-23-2010, 06:21 AM
I think its a good idea, itll even up the playing feild so to speak. Possibly even take away the lag at the begining of the round. I think someone or even my self have mention this idea before. It cant hurt to try it and see if it helps. Atleast taking away the lag at the begining.

Rushing has nothing to do with this freezetime. Your team could still easily rush a or b and take it. Its a matter of getting everyone on the team to go one way. This mod will only help with lag and players mic'd up as the round is restarting. That annoying lag everyone gets at the begining of the round, you know what im talking about . Or cause everyone is still buying stuff, which seems to be to me...just a guess...is cause we dont have the freezetime, the server just cant handle that much info all at once...Im no computer or server tech but just assumpation.

Camarada Candiotti
03-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Taking A OR B will also be matter of who's on your team .. if i have Big al bower and all trp's on my side i don't care if i die first cuz i know they will keep pushing .. but this is not the case all the times !!!!ROUNDS ARE ALREADY TOO LONG SOME TIMES CUZ T"S ARE HIDDING WAITING FOR CT"S .... and people who plays in our pubs knows that .. This mod will also affect the admins since we will probably still enforcing the 2 mins CAMP in tspawn cuz t's are affraid of dying in game !! this will be awful and i'm not down for that !

you guys want to fix the lag ... NO TALK and NO BANK MOD .. easy ... and don't complain you don't have money!

btw .. i take long by myself all the times ... if its not with a little help sometimes .... and because of THIS t's go thru long !!! if not they will be just sitting waiting for something to happend

Drunk Santa
03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Well we donít have bank now and I am not sure that helped. People who do not use rebuy or F2 Ė will still be shopping two sec latter.

michaelscarn
03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
So, I was playing in Pub 1 last night and I had to run back to buy at least 10 times because of the lag.

Also, I timed it, and it seems to be 2 second long.

Camarada Candiotti
03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
don't you have binds for buying? or atleast F2? .... Glock or USP rush FTW!!! don't be a noob Michael!!!!!

XD... NOOOB DOOOWN

Radeon
03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
dont change it.i dont like freezetime either and i rush all the time.well not all the time but i still rush.and if u can feel the lag jst dont talk wait the lags over.thats it.end of story.dont change it.i know trying is not gona hurt.but they already discus this b4.so leave the settings alone cuz everybody is used to this 1. period.

Killer Tofu
03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Holy shiz. I thought that we were talking about a 2-3 second freeze of the Buy system. (That is, people would be spurred by limited buytime to rush.)

I am against creating a coherent lag redeployment of people each round. If we take Rushing out of the Rushing Party...it still looks cool as the Party...but it loses sex appeal.

My case in picture-point:

http://i39.tinypic.com/izn578.jpg

michaelscarn
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Holy shiz. I thought that we were talking about a 2-3 second freeze of the Buy system. (That is, people would be spurred by limited buytime to rush.)

I am against creating a coherent lag redeployment of people each round. If we take Rushing out of the Rushing Party...it still looks cool as the Party...but it loses sex appeal.

You would still be able to rush...

michaelscarn
03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
dont change it.i dont like freezetime either and i rush all the time.well not all the time but i still rush.and if u can feel the lag jst dont talk wait the lags over.thats it.end of story.dont change it.i know trying is not gona hurt.but they already discus this b4.so leave the settings alone cuz everybody is used to this 1. period.

it still lags even when no one talks when we have 3/4 full to a full server

clean team
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Again, just don't move for the second it lags. Then buy and continue on your way. That's a much better solution than forcing everyone to wait a couple of seconds all the time, even when the server only has 4 people.

michaelscarn
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Again, just don't move for the second it lags. Then buy and continue on your way. That's a much better solution than forcing everyone to wait a couple of seconds all the time, even when the server only has 4 people.

I've seen our pubbers complain too... it's a solution for everyone

edit: and it's only 2 seconds of waiting! :)

clean team
03-23-2010, 05:12 PM
A 'couple' is generally thought of as 2 while a 'few' would be 3ish. So nice attempt at a correction, but you should leave that to Tofu :D

bower
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
If you can't buy quick enough then dont push ahead. I have perfected the split second delay before hitting 't' (my rebuy button) and "w" when I notice the 'pull' on the server. Sure, the odd time I wont buy becuase I ran too far out of spawn, but if I did get the weapons on time I would have had that much more of a jump at long A than anyone else. You just have to change your style of play if you don't get the weapons on the first attempt. However, removing the advantage of getting that good jump from spawn in the servers will just make for slower game play..... Boring gameplay.

Drunk Santa
03-23-2010, 05:48 PM
What usual happens is that three best players get to bombsite first and get killed (not a team rush), or they get there and wait until the rest of the team gets there. Also, wouldn’t the player with fastest connection get there first (less lag)? If so, it’s not a skill.

bower
03-23-2010, 08:12 PM
What usual happens is that three best players get to bombsite first and get killed (not a team rush), or they get there and wait until the rest of the team gets there. Also, wouldnít the player with fastest connection get there first (less lag)? If so, itís not a skill.

yeah not skill at all. I can't aim.

michaelscarn
03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
yeah not skill at all. I can't aim.

You know what he means ;)

cash
03-24-2010, 12:28 AM
This is just ridiculous when I read through people's comments (the ones against it). Are you kidding me when you say you can't rush? YOU STILL CAN RUSH BUT MORE EFFECTIVE because this time you will ACTUALLY HAVE A WEAPON! and so will your teammates which will actually be right next to you and you won't be the only idiot with a pistol rushing out... Do not take the freaking clan name so serious, "The Rushing Party"....Yeah, the rushing party, but as far as I know it doesn't mean we all have to rush like dumbasses, the few seconds which will not only help the lag, due to which a few of my friends refuse to play on the server and I myself almost stopped playing, but they will actually help the team call out the rush. I don't know about you but it seems to me like that would be the smarter idea. Ok i'm done lol hopefully it gets through your guy's heads that it's actually a smart idea and is also used in scrim matches where people have some buy time and discuss where to rush... BUT you also have to TRY DOING IT on one of the pubs and just seeing how it works not completely deny thinking it will stop people from coming in or playing it will actually help i've seen multiple times people complain about the lag and then eventually they stop talking and leave the game. Plain and simple....Try it on one of the four pubs and see how it affects gameplay.

Camarada Candiotti
03-24-2010, 12:59 AM
scrims matches are not 16 vs 16 ...

I don't even know why are we discussing this again .. if you guys want your 2 secs ... go thru the forums and see why the last time this was brought up didn't work ...

cash
03-24-2010, 01:05 AM
scrims matches are not 16 vs 16

So the rest of my post doesn't matter because I just so happened to mention scrim matches? Which I was just using as an example of what people do during the freeze time which is discuss where to go...

420TrojanUSC
03-24-2010, 01:13 AM
i love to rush and for me my advantage comes from getting a clean and quick start. sometimes my bind key for para does not work. but overall i get a running buy and that few secs i save on others makes all the difference.

Camarada Candiotti
03-24-2010, 01:17 AM
YOu can't compare regular game with SCRIMS .. scrims are competitive where you plan something .... a regular pub is not! .... there is a huge difference between making plans with your buddy and talk with somebody who doesn't care ...

michaelscarn
03-24-2010, 01:24 AM
i love to rush and for me my advantage comes from getting a clean and quick start. sometimes my bind key for para does not work. but overall i get a running buy and that few secs i save on others makes all the difference.

it's still about what spot you have in spawn, and my gripe is still that the lag does not allow you to buy until 2 seconds anyway.

You'll still have the advantage of being on the edge of spawn when you get that spot.

cash
03-24-2010, 01:35 AM
YOu can't compare regular game with SCRIMS .. scrims are competitive where you plan something .... a regular pub is not! .... there is a huge difference between making plans with your buddy and talk with somebody who doesn't care ...

Yes you can compare it because everyone who is arguing right now is a competitive player even in pubs, people actually take pubs seriously if you notice all the rage quitters or people who complain about the team not co-operating...And i'm pretty sure that everybody who said that they love rushing out and being first at the spot are competitive players because you shouldn't care if you are or aren't at the spot when you are just playing around.

420TrojanUSC
03-24-2010, 01:38 AM
true spawn spots are the biggest difference, but there is also a little time earned in running straight after spawn. sometimes i will be the 4th or 5th in line but by moving right away i still get through dd at a decent enough time. i think if everyone has time to buy this advantage is lost. i guess what i am saying is the my binds would be worth a little less. hahahaha

420TrojanUSC
03-24-2010, 01:46 AM
k guys i dont have a problem with one of the pubs being 2 sec delayed. lol that way we can see how our theories pan out. so say pub 1 is normal and pub 2 is 2 sec delayed.

Drunk Santa
03-24-2010, 02:22 AM
k guys i dont have a problem with one of the pubs being 2 sec delayed. lol that way we can see how our theories pan out. so say pub 1 is normal and pub 2 is 2 sec delayed.

Yes! plus RTV !!! :)

Camarada Candiotti
03-24-2010, 07:16 AM
errrr .. people RAGE QUIT BECAUSE THE OTHER TEAM IS STACKED ... not because they can't buy ...... I actually never heard a player says .. I'm rage quitting because i can't buy guns ..... .. what you often hear is .. I rage quit because I (they) don't have REG or because this team sucks cuz nobody helps (meaning the other team is stack) .. i think with your post above me you are giving me the reason .... Maybe i'm deaf that i've never heard that people rage quit cuz they can't buy guns

clean team
03-24-2010, 11:10 AM
This is just ridiculous when I read through people's comments (the ones against it). [CUT OUT REST OF RANT IN CONSIDERATION OF SPACE] Plain and simple....Try it on one of the four pubs and see how it affects gameplay.
I hope most of this makes it into your head, cash, because it might not be able too. To start out, if you're going to write a wall of text, please make an attempt at correct grammar, punctuation, and in general, better writing than what you wrote, it makes you look as if you thought about your response and just didn't 'rage' it out. First off, one of the major problems with your argument is saying that "the few seconds will actually help the team call out the rush." The point of the freezetime is because the server lags, and the buy commands don't go through. Saying that it is possible to call out rushes during this time goes against the reason for having the freezetime, IE the server is basically unusable for those seconds. The freeze time will in no way help people plan out or call out rushes simply because it is impossible during the lag. Secondly, we don't have to try it out on one of the servers to see how it affects gameplay. If you wanted to it's easy enough to go play on another server with freezetime and observe the gameplay. Or just a couple of seconds of thinking would lead you to the conclusion it won't really affect gameplay when the server is full and lagging at the beginning of the round. However when the server isn't lagging, which is most of the time, the two seconds of freezetime would be a hindrance. Those are the two biggest things wrong with your argument. To continue onwards, you cannot jump to the conclusion that the reason people leave the game is lag. All you stated was they "complain about the lag and then eventually they stop talking and leave the game." If they said they left the server because of the lag then you would a small point; but you said they gave no reason as to why they stopped playing. Another point of contention I had was your comment "the few seconds which will not only help the lag." This isn't true, those few seconds are only going to hide the lag, and be an annoyance when there is none. They will not help it in anyway. Also, stop trying to create a perfect rushing environment that will stem from the implementation of freezetime; which you attempted to do by saying, "your teammates which will actually be right next to you and you won't be the only idiot with a pistol rushing out." That is not something you can say will happen with freezetime. Most likely they will still hang back and you will be the only one running out. Next time you have a point to make, don't make statements that are false and weaken your arguement. Also, don't commit any major logical fallacies.

I hate to be an asshole but you could have made your point without insulting others and me because of an opinion of ours. One more time I will say how easy it is to simply wait the lag out by standing still for a second; then buy and run.

cash
03-24-2010, 11:35 AM
RAGE QUIT BECAUSE THE OTHER TEAM IS STACKED ... not because they can't buy

When did I ever say they rage quit because they can't buy....? I was trying to prove a point that people do play competitively.

I hope most of this makes it into your head, cash, because it might not be able too. To start out, if you're going to write a wall of text, please make an attempt at correct grammar, punctuation, and in general, better writing than what you wrote, it makes you look as if you thought about your response and just didn't 'rage' it out.

I could care less about the grammar it's not like i'm writing it out to professors with degrees or anything lol but at least I can spell To which you who just complained about my grammar failed to fix your grammar yourself at the beginning of your post... On the other hand, yeah you make sense but I have played on some other servers and heard people tell me that they don't play on trp servers because of the lag. And how is two seconds an annoyance? If you have to sit in spawn and wait for the lag those two seconds, it only I guess won't piss you off when you rush out and then realize your autobuy didn't work due to lag and you are rushing with a pistol. And my point of being the only guy with a gun is because of other people that rush with you sometimes run back to buy a gun as well or sit there because they lagged and only after the lag is done they buy weapons when they could be running with you to rush.

Or just a couple of seconds of thinking would lead you to the conclusion it won't really affect gameplay when the server is full and lagging at the beginning of the round.
So why not try it? If it won't affect the gameplay then why are people against it.

Camarada Candiotti
03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
people actually take pubs seriously if you notice all the rage quitters or people who complain about the team not co-operating...

Here ..

they are not co- operating ... means that they don't rush

THey RAGE QUIT CUZ the team sucks and most of the time the other team is stacked !....

how 2 secs is going to help this ???? and the lag .. i hear complains too but not from many people that says that because of the lagg they won't play in our server .. we have many regular pubbers for long time !! i wonder why they didn't RAGE QUIT YET if this bothers them too much ... ??? and after this you might say .. well not old pubbers but new pubbers .. well they have to suck it up we are not perfect and apparently we have many old members and old pubbers here that are worth many times more, cooperates and makes our community a better place .. unlike a new pubber that just says ... I DON"T LIKE IT BECAUSE OF THE LAGG and never ever helped this community .. plus .. i can recall few times i lagg out on the server

People ( In general ) bitches a lot, find excuses, and blame other people for their result .. this is in NATURAL in HUMANS ... when some1 is pissed anything bothers them and the easy thing to say in the pubs is no reg or lag

and THIS MAKES PERFECT SENSE !!!

One more time I will say how easy it is to simply wait the lag out by standing still for a second; then buy and run.

clean team
03-24-2010, 01:45 PM
but at least I can spell To which you who just complained about my grammar failed to fix your grammar yourself at the beginning of your post...

Besides 'argument' what word(s) did I spell incorrectly? Also, I'm not sure what grammar mistakes I made, please point them out. I realize I had some clunky sentence structure at the beginning; but I'm pretty sure there were not any grammar mistakes.

So why not try it? If it won't affect the gameplay then why are people against it.
Try reading my post more carefully. I said it won't affect gameplay when the server lags. But most of the fucking time it doesn't lag. When the server doesn't lag, which is MOST of the time, then those two seconds are an annoyance. I have my buy bind which buys everything I need for T or CT, I press it once and go. This gives me an advantage when I'm trying to get to places before the other team does.

Killer Tofu
03-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Does nobody appreciate the scientific method in this community?!

Make an observation: The servers lags, especially during spawn time.
Do preliminary research: Voice chat, weapon purchases, and a couple dozen players causes this early in a round.
Hypothesis: A 2-3 second freeze time would solve this issue.
Test: Implement parameters that will create a 2-3 second freeze time on a server. Use another server with the same map, slots, and relative activity as a controlled variable.
Analyze Results
Affirm/Deny Hypothesis
We should Test the server and let this process unfold. Then, people will stop bickering and arguing.

/thread

clean team
03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
The scientific method is shitty :D:D:D

cash
03-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Does nobody appreciate the scientific method in this community?!

Make an observation: The servers lags, especially during spawn time.
Do preliminary research: Voice chat, weapon purchases, and a couple dozen players causes this early in a round.
Hypothesis: A 2-3 second freeze time would solve this issue.
Test: Implement parameters that will create a 2-3 second freeze time on a server. Use another server with the same map, slots, and relative activity as a controlled variable.
Analyze Results
Affirm/Deny Hypothesis
We should Test the server and let this process unfold. Then, people will stop bickering and arguing.

/thread

Agreed lol

Camarada Candiotti
03-24-2010, 03:34 PM
this scientific method is shitty indeeed ... if you want to do a report like this .. then the report should be really scientific and with research without throwing inconclusive hypothesis that might harm the community or pubs

Hypothesis is inconclusive since it doesn't describe the possible effect to players leaving the servers and/or community .. (only focus on machines which they are useless and pointless without players)

MousE
03-24-2010, 04:35 PM
this scientific method is shitty indeeed ... if you want to do a report like this .. then the report should be really scientific and with research without throwing inconclusive hypothesis that might harm the community or pubs

Hypothesis is inconclusive since it doesn't describe the possible effect to players leaving the servers and/or community .. (only focus on machines which they are useless and pointless without players)

A hypothesis is an educated guess. Also, this bickering about grammar and spelling needs to stop. the fuck we care about grammar. It aint no school paper or will it be graded on. Sure, you may sound more professional but PEOPLE, WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE, just having different point of views. Why don't we just shut down the pubs and BOTH sides lose? It will definitely solve ONE problem...

Camarada Candiotti
03-24-2010, 04:54 PM
LOlz ... Mouse enlight us !!!! that means .. Stop posting 'til we finally get a number !!!

HOW ABOUT THAT!!!!

clean team
03-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Also, this bickering about grammar and spelling needs to stop. the fuck we care about grammar.
Loolz, I don't actually care, I was just fucking around with Cash :eek:

Killer Tofu
03-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Loolz, I don't actually care, I was just fucking around with Cash :eek:

I behoove you to...

http://i39.tinypic.com/1rop3b.jpg

clean team
03-25-2010, 05:21 AM
haha Tofu. I really was just fucking around with you cash, sorry if I offended you. I was in school, bored as shit, after Literature and Composition and wrote it while I was another class.

Although, all the points I made about freezetime, I meant.